Premier François Legault says that if things continue to improve, Quebecers can look forward to a good summer.
QUEBEC — Saying the situation has improved, Premier François Legault Tuesday announced an easing of COVID-19 restrictions in several regions, including Quebec City.
High schools will return to in-class settings, non-essential services will reopen and the curfew will be bumped back to 9:30 p.m. in Quebec City, Lévis, Bellechasse and Montmagny-L’Islet as of May 10, Legault told reporters at a news conference.
But emergency measures are being put in place in the Eastern Townships region of Granite, where cases are spiking.
The situation in the Abititi-Témiscaminque region has improved so much it will go from orange status to yellow.
Legault confirmed discussions are underway to possibly allow the return of live audiences to places like the Bell Centre. No date has been set.
On Tuesday, Quebec reported 797 new cases of the virus and 16 additional deaths.
Legault said he had warned that the month of April would be rough, but because of the good behaviour of Quebecers and increased vaccination, May is looking better and so is the summer ahead.
Montreal’s first drive-through COVID-19 vaccination site to open at Trudeau airport
Gaspé bans camping, cars from beaches after last year’s pandemic pandemonium
All our coronavirus-related news can always be found at montrealgazette.com/tag/coronavirus.
Sign up for our email newsletter dedicated to local COVID-19 coverage at montrealgazette.com/coronavirusnews.
Help support our local journalism by subscribing to the Montreal Gazette here.